Friday, April 16, 2010

Lying

Reading over my last post, I realize that I don't make much sense. But, give me a break. It was, like, midnight and I'm not used to this "blogging" thing so I'm allowed to screw up, okay? I'm not normally an idiot...okay, well, not ALL of the time. Just sometimes. I'm really bad at defending myself, as you can see, so let's just move on.

So today I was talking to my sister about random things...which I sometimes do. I mean, sometimes it's just fun to TALK...ain't it? It doesn't matter what it is...sometimes it's just nice to have a release. Almost like exercising. But with your mouth. (Yeah, I realize that sounded dirty).

So as I was walking around our basement talking and simultaneously dribbling a ball, my sister is lounging on the computer pretending to ignore me. But, really, she wasn't ignoring me. And I can always tell because I sometimes look at her and she twitches her mouth when I say something weird or gives a slight smile when I say something funny. See, my sister is in the middle of her I-hate-the-world-and-everyone-in-it phase and she usually acts like I'm the biggest loser in the world. But, really, she adores me.

So, I was talking and talking when I stumbled on this idea. (And that's another thing about talking rubbish, sometimes between ridiculous ideas and misused words, you actually can fall upon a really cool thought). Anway, my thought was this: Lying.

Lying is so strange because I think it depends fully on your audience. Only if your audience believes it can it take the full form of a successful lie. And if the audience rejects the lie, then the lie is out of business, done, it's run out of town. So, I was thinking that who's better able to detect a lie for what it is? Someone who has known you all your life? Or a complete stranger? See, the obvious answer would be someone who's known you, who is familiar with your quirks and habits. They're probably better equipped to notice when you're lying more than a stranger can.

Aha. But that is where I disagree. I think people who know you well and like you have more reason to BELIEVE in your lies than a complete stranger. A complete stranger can call you out on your bullshit without any consequences. Whereas a family member or friend might get hurt that you lied to them, disappointed about what you lied about. So, I think sometimes our loved ones develop this sort of unconscious mechanism in their brains that shields them from the hurt of figuring out that their son/daughter/mother/father/friend is lying to them.

Plus, a loved one has more reason to TRUST you than a complete stranger does. I mean, to a complete stranger you may appear like a serial killer so they'll probably be on their guard from the beginning.

Moral of the story: don't lie to your loved ones, they're hopelessly blind. And loved ones? Don't be stupid, okay? Recognize when someone is blatantly lying to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment