Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Review: The Maze Runner by James Dashner




When I first opened this book up, I was expecting my mind to be blown. I know that's kind of unfair because it's just setting the story up for failure since nothing EVER lives up to expectations but I couldn't help it. The premise of this book sounded so cool that I thought the author must have come up with some pretty incredible things. This is the part where I'm supposed to tell you that I was horribly disappointed and I never want to see this book again. But, that would be...mostly a lie. However, some of it would be true. I was disappointed...but not horribly so. And I certainly wouldn't read this book again but I would go out and buy the sequel for sure.

This book starts out a little slow and I really didn't think that was possible because it starts off with a main character who has lost his memory in an enclosed maze with about fifty other boys and he doesn't know WHY. I mean, how could a book that starts with such an intriguing concept be slow? Well, I guess that has to do with the infuriatingly flat characters. And I use the word infuriating because I wanted to punch Thomas, the main character, in the face after about five pages. His reactions and first impressions of things were so ridiculous. None of the other characters had much depth either. I can say that with certainty because when one of them was hurt or in serious danger, I could care less. In fact, near the end, there's a very pivotal scene with one of the characters that's supposed to evoke as much emotion as possible and I couldn't even bring myself to feel sad or remotely sympathetic. I just wanted to know what happens. Which brings me to the strength of this book: the story.

It was a very unique take on dystopian YA literature. Speaking of which, there have been quite a LOT of those around lately, haven't there? I guess dystopia's the new vampires. Or something like that. Anyway, back to the point. I really enjoyed the plotline. Once I got past the annoying characters and forced dialogue, I really enjoyed the story, the true heart and soul of this book. There is enough mystery and secrets and adventure to keep you hooked. I mean, it is a MAZE so you can expect that there's supposed to be a solution, right? Every puzzle has an answer. And getting to this book's answer was a wild, thrilling ride. The ending was also great because it had enough of a twist that even the most reluctant of readers would want to dive right into the second installment.

So, I guess the verdict is that while it isn't one of the better dystopians I've read, it certainly is completely enjoyable. And while I wouldn't reread it for any of the characters or relationships or witty, funny dialogue (there was very little of any of that), I would give it props for the incredible setting that was vividly drawn, the storyline that was intricately woven, and the ending that gave me all the incentive I need to pick up the sequel.

3/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment