Saturday, August 7, 2010

One of Those Annoying Vents

I don't understand how people can be so hypocritical. Especially parents. I know, I know...I've already complained about one of my parents in the last post. But now I'm here to completely bash my father. I'm like one of those nightmare kids who don't get along with their parents. But, maybe it's the parent's fault? I doubt anyone out there will believe that but I honestly think that despite teen's and young adult's so-called "bad attitudes" most of the times a bad parental relationship is caused by the parent. So, if you're a parent of a young person and you don't know how to make things better between you and your kids, here's a list of things you SHOULD NOT DO.

1. Yelling. It's pointless, it doesn't help, and it only makes things worse. If you yell very, very rarely then this could become a sort of weapon you can use if your kid has acted REALLY bad. But, usually, kids don't get "rowdy" and uncontrollable simply because they're bad at heart.I believe that when kids act out, they're usually in some sort of trouble or they're confused and hurt. So, yelling doesn't really help the situation. It doesn't scare them. It just makes them even angrier. And one thing you DON'T want is an angry teenager.

2. TELLING them what to do. Especially once they get above the age of 12. You can suggest things and help them with their problems and give them logical advice but don't DICTATE to them what they HAVE to do. This just makes you a dictator and nobody likes dictators.

3. Not admitting your mistakes. We know parents make mistakes. Seriously, we know grownups are not perfect. But what pisses us off the most is when parents try to act like they ARE perfect. What the hell? We know you're not. And acting like that mistake you made WASN'T a mistake is just going to make you look like an idiot. We'll respect you more if you actually admit when you're wrong and apologize.

These are just a couple of tips. Good parents probably already know all of them but my dad sure as hell doesn't. Not to say he's a BAD dad. He's provided for us, he isn't an alcoholic, he isn't abusive. He just does all the things I've listed that parents shouldn't do. And that makes him very hard to live with or get along with. But I wish the man the best. And I've learned to have a very thick skin when it comes to him. I just hate it when he yells and criticizes to death but doesn't have the decency to see his own glaring flaws.

Okay. Hideous vent over. Thanks for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment